Saturday, February 6, 2016

Networks and Connectivism

Everybody networks in some shape or form whether it’s socially or professionally. But how do our networks help us learn and how have they changed the way we learn?
With so much information accessible through the Internet, it is so much easier to find what you are looking for and learn about something new with a click of your mouse. When I was growing up I had to rely on a network of teachers, books, magazines, and television to gain new information. The Internet provides a means to connect with new ideas and new information instantly. So for me, my online networks give me a virtually unlimited amount of resources to learn from opposed to the limited amount I had when I was growing up.


         



In my learning mind map, I show email, Google search, forums, and YouTube as some ways I receive knowledge. I think the two I rely on the most are Google searches and YouTube. When submitting a topic into the Google search window, I am shown various articles and links to that topic. I can quickly browse and choose the link that offers me the most relevance.

When I am trying to figure out how to do something, especially a home or car repair, I use YouTube to access ‘how-to’ videos. The videos are very helpful for me because they give me a visual of the pieces and parts involved as well as an explanation of the task. I also use YouTube to listen to lectures and short clips that provide additional information and insight to new concepts that I am learning in college.

My networks provide me with new information every day. And that information usually comes in an unorganized fashion. Meaning- in one moment I may be reading information on military aircraft then the next moment I am reading a news headline. The information I receive is sporadic. Siemens describes connectivism as the integration of principles explored by chaos, network, and complexity and self-organization theories. Chaos, in this instance, refers to a random order of information. As I receive new information, I reorganize it and form connections with similar experiences and concepts. One principle of connectivism is the skill of seeing the connections between fields, ideas, and concepts (Siemens, 2005). Even though I get different bits of information through social media, interactions with co-workers, and video media, I can focus on the relevance to the information and make the appropriate connection.

 

Reference

Siemens, G. (2005, January). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. International Journal of Instructional Technology & Distance Learning, Retrieved November 03, 2008, from http://www.itdl.org/Journal/Jan_05/article01.htm


2 comments:

  1. Robert,

    I grew up during the same information age as you, which meant that if I wanted to acquire information, then I needed a source other than a computer and a network streaming information over the web. When I found that the World Wide Web had so much to offer me as a learner, I jumped on board with the information highway as quickly as possible. Martinez wrote, "The Internet provides a means to connect with new ideas and new information instantly" (Para. 2). Of course, once I realized that my new computing skills would lead to newly acquired knowledge, I sought out all the things that interested me. After a while, I did calm down.
    I like that you cover the electronic and online influences that provided you resources to learn. When I was a child in school, the only computer was this old PC in the school's central office. If prompted to turn it one, I would have cluelessly gone on without success. You do an excellent job explaining your post and matching the explanation to the mapped item, too. I appreciate your effort to create such a clean and concise piece.

    Thank you,

    Ronnie Maynard

    ReplyDelete